Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Wiener Schnitzel

Fritz cooked chicken schnitzel for me last night. Amidst my sudden surge of emotional malfunction wherein the idea of never ever getting a marriage proposal caused me to plummet into a momentary pit of depression and tears. I honestly don't know what caused it. Maybe watching too many chick flicks. Maybe thinking about this gorgeous x-carat cat's eye cut diamond engagement ring that I tried on when I was like, 16 years old. I was actually more interested than the rings than I was about the weddings and the dress and all that. It may not have been something that I actively fantasized about, but it was still one of those things that I somehow took for granted that I would eventually end up having in the course of my life. Kind of like a job, a house, a car, etc. Not that I have a house or a car yet, but then those are things that I can control. Unlike someone asking me to marry them. That's still one thing that all the bra-burners and women's liberation advocates in the world can't change.
But then again, how many married women out there can say that their husbands cooked wiener schnitzel for them? Or how many married women can still catch their husband's eye across a crowded bar and see him mouthing the words to "waiting in vain" to them? Marriage rings symbolize love and commitment and all that, but then at the end of the day, I guess I'd rather have the real thing. (Dammit, I still want both though! The cat's eye diamond cut ring and the schnitzel :P)

No comments: