Monday, November 28, 2005

My Very First Christmas Tree

Of course it isn't my first ever Christmas tree. It's just the first one that I ever actually purchased. The funny thing is, I already had a particular one in mind. I hadn't seen it yet, but I could imagine what it would look like already, down to it's height, the exact shade of green it would be, the material of its leaves and the thickness of the branches.
Fritz and I decided to go Christmas decor and general Christmas gift hunting yesterday (three cheers for Monday holidays!) at Bangkal in Makati. We absolutely love bargain hunting in this not so well known part of Makati because you never really know what you're going to end up finding. One time, Fritz was able to purchase this antique musical mini-bar there one time for like, Php800. On another occasion, I found a San Miguel Pale Pilsen bottle that looked like it had been stepped on and turned into an ashtray. I thought that was hilarious and was planning to give it to Fritz last year for Christmas, but I just couldn't keep it to myself for that long...
Bangkal is a bit like Portobello Street in London, in the sense that there are so many knick knacks and odds and ends lying about (yesterday there was this old jukebox player complete with old records and all, right beside a cage with two pit bull puppies). As we were going about, I suddenly saw, sitting nonchalantly on a side table, the Christmas tree of my dreams. It was absolutely perfect, just how I had imagined it. I did the usual bargain-hunter tactic and pretended to be only mildly interested when I asked how much it was. The shopkeeper did the usual seller tactic and quoted a price higher than what she would be actually willing to let it go for. After some good-natured haggling, we finally settled on the price of Php400.
Php 400 for my first Christmas tree!!! Well, I guess it's actually officially OUR Christmas tree. Whatever. It's beautiful and it's perfect :)

No comments: